PayPal donations: [email protected] ×

Unable to patch AR5B195

vektor1993

Hello all, 

On my first ever attempt to install macOS 10.12.2 on my laptop I hit the usual wall of Wi-Fi not working. 

Build: 

Asus X552VL-SX008D. Initially the laptop had AR9485. I tried a huge number of patches, none of which worked. I the end after reading a number of forums, I swapped with the supported AR5B195. Found this topic which I intend to try later today, keeping in consideration the correct RP position my card has.

First question on this topic, I installed a random number of kext files with Kext Utility for both AR9485 and AR9285. Would this impact the config I intend to make with the steps from the link above? I read that zombie kext files can lead to kernel panics.

Second question:

I attach the patched table where I also renamed RP04.PXSX to RP04.ARPT. Remember to re-instate the vanilla Atheros kext!

How would one re-instate the vanilla Atheros kext?

Thank you gents in advance!

• Moderators

Would this impact the config I intend to make with the steps from the link above? I read that zombie kext files can lead to kernel panics.

Yes. You must remove all the patches/kexts you installed that are not meant for the hardware you have right now. Also, you shouldn't use multiple kexts for multiple hardware. Use the one meant specifically for your hardware.

How would one re-instate the vanilla Atheros kext?

Extract IO80211Family.kext from macOS installer.app using Pacifist or reinstall macOS.

• Administrators

As with any other file, you should always keep a backup of a vanilla kext somewhere safe before you apply a patch, i.e. modify it. That allows you to revert if required, i.e. re-instate the original kext. It's just a very basic, common sense practice...