PayPal donations: [email protected] ×

Resizing APFS drive to allow space for WIN10 Partition

spidey123

Hello everyone, so I have a 500GB SSD that I've been running macOS Mojave.  Now the drive partition is set-up as APFS, can I still shrink the drive by 50-60 Gigabytes and then Install Windows 10?  I tried earlier but I messed up severely.  I used Rufus with WIN10.iso and it wouldn't allow me to install Windows on the Partition I created in OSX.  In OSX I created a FAT32 parition for Windows.  That didnt work and apparently your not suppose to do that in Disk Utility as it will mess up your drive.  I didn't know that but now I know.  Anyhow. I then formatted it as Mac OS Journaled and that also failed to allow WIN 10 installation.  So I couldn't get Windows to install for some reason.  To make things worse the EFI partition got corrupted and I could only boot OSX with my USB.  I did end up fixing that with I believe (as I dont know for sure) using  diskutil reformat.  Then Clover finally reinstalled.  

So basically I'm back where I started and now I just need to figure out what type of Partition I need to create for Windows after Shrinking my APFS os partition down to allow for a second Partition.  Maybe EXfat?  

• Administrators

Do not confuse disk partitioning and APFS container/volume management.

What you want to do is:

1. reduce your container size by 50-60GB
  2. create a new partition ad disk root and format it MSDOS (FAT) or ExFAT

You'll then be able to install Win10 on that 2nd partition, knowing that you'll probably need to re-install Clover after to reconstruct your boot sector/EFI partition properly and be able to boot through Clover either partition/OS.

Disk_with_APFS_container.jpg

DIsk_partitioning.jpg Always_partition.jpg

Disk_partitions.jpg

There's absolutely no issue formatting a partition MSDOS (FAT) or ExFAT from Disk Utility under OS X/macOS.

Thanks for the reply Herve.   

Ok well then I must have done something wrong when creating the Windows 10 image for the usb.  This was exactly what i did yesterday and then Windows wouldn't allow me to install on the Partition I created.  

I guess I can give it another shot.  

What do you recommend for creating the USB image of Windows.  I used Rufus.  Maybe there is a better solution?