PayPal donations: [email protected] ×

[Solved] E7470: no volume control for HDMI audio on Dell u3415w external screen

doctorultra

• Administrators

Do you mean that you have no audio at all, i.e. not configured? What's the relation with your screen? What's the audio codec on this laptop and how did you setup audio output?

Please be specific about your query and context.

No I have audio, but I cannot adjust the volume. What do you mean with the relation of my screen, does it really fit with an sound problem? I didn´t configured anything and my system has an intel hd grapic 520.

The sound works good, I have just one problem, I cannot adjust the volume. It is greyed.

• Administrators

:wacko: You're not describing your issue properly at all, so I'm going to take the guess that, having connected your Latitude E7470 to a Dell U3415W external screen over HDMI:

1. you've set audio output to HDMI (or it was automatically selected)
  2. the audio icon in the Finder's bar does not allow you to adjust/control volume and your audio output setup is as illustrated below

HDMI-audio.jpg

I've adjusted your thread title to that effect...

Assuming the above is correct, all is perfectly normal, there's no technical problem at all and you would simply appear to ignore how HDMI-audio operates under macOS: volume of HDMI-audio cannot be controlled from the computer, only from the HDMI device itself. That's Standard behaviour.

In other words, adjust your audio volume directly through your Dell U3415W's own control mechanisms... See here for details:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_display/dell-u3415w-monitor_user's guide_en-us.pdf