PayPal donations: [email protected] ×

Coffee Lake UHD630: patching the framebuffer to change connector types

deeveedee

@black.dragon74 and @Hervé This is an old thread, but I think it's still relevant to my current build.  I'm currently implementing framebuffer patching with WEG for working video on my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini.  I'd like to try patching without WEG, since I believe that my I7-8700T / UHD630 should be natively supported by Catalina. The only change I believe I need to make is the connector-type.  I am using Clover r5118 (UEFI) to inject the WEG device properties.   

If I want to change the framebuffer connector-types without WEG (I need to change connector-type to DigitalDVI), Is the Find/Replace patching technique in Post #1 of this thread still the best way to do this (again, without WEG)?  I was hoping that I could inject a device property (e.g. @0,connector-type) like I used to do for Nvidia DSDT patches, but that technique did not work with my UHD 630.

Thank you for your help.

• Administrators

The techniques detailed there and in the linked guides applied to Intel framebuffers from Sandy Bridge to Broadwell. They ceased to apply to Intel framebuffers from Skylake onwards because Apple totally changed the way in which they define framebuffer layouts in the kexts. The connector types remain the same of course. If you want to change port types, you'll have to identify the connected ports in IOReg and patch them through Clover Device Properties injection for instance. By far, it's the easiest way to do it.

You'll find examples in most packs available in the guides posted for Skylake/Kaby Lake/Kaby Lake Refresh/Coffee Lake Hackintoshes or those posts/threads were such patching was discussed. Here or here for instance. You may also consult WhateverGreen's manual where you'll find invaluable information on graphics framebuffer and patching.

• FB@0 translates to con0
  • FB@1 translates to con1
  • FB@2 translates to con2
  • etc.
  • and the parameter you'll want to change for connector types will be type

So, to change connector-type of FB@<x> to DVI, you'll inject:

Key: framebuffer-con<x>-type

Value: 04000000

Type: Data

And activate connector patching:

Key: framebuffer-con<x>-enable

Value: 01000000 (or just 1)