PayPal donations: [email protected] ×

Request - Lenovo G505s (20255) BIOS Modification

Takahashi

Hello OSXLatitude.

Lenovo has implemented a PCI device whitelist into the BIOS of Lenovo G505s (20255). This disables me from using wireless cards other than those authorized by Lenovo. I purchased a Broadcom BCM943225HMB (Hackintosh-compatible) from Amazon, and upon installing it, I sadly found out then and there.

I have linked the latest BIOS update (v3.00) along with its readme for use if necessary.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j6d5w032axhk4f5/AADM3EN2jON7N4Cb8tZQyVeya?dl=0

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Dear friends! Dont worry, I have a perfect solution for your problem! :ugeek:
You could just get a Coreboot open source BIOS (which supports Lenovo G505S) and flash it to your laptop! :D
More information, how to get this wonderful BIOS and flash it, could be found here:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-REQUEST-Lenovo-G505s-bios-unlock-advance-options?pid=100299#pid100299
Because it is open source, you can modify the source as much as you want, everything is unlocked, and there are no WiFi whitelists or other stupid restrictions! :)
BTW Atheros WiFi cards, such as AR9462 or AR9485, would have been much better than Broadcom.  :P These Atheros cards work very good, cost cheap, very stable WiFi, and they work perfectly under Linux without needing any proprietary firmware drivers ;)
P.S. You will need to spend some money on a flashing hardware, could get for under $10 from China...