PayPal donations: [email protected] ×

[07/18/2011] - D630 BIOS rework

crc-error404

I had my system working on BIOS A17 of DELL.

I updated to the A17 from the Wiki page but it does not work my system will not start.

I get to option to select F2 or F12. When you enter one of the two it will state Preparing to Enter Setup.... or Prepairing one-time boot menu ....

But it never gets in there.

After the progression bar disappears there is only the blinking cursor at the left upper side.

Now I want to restore back to A17 of Dell and have downloaded the recovery file.

The recovery file for the D630 Nvidea is 2.1 Mb in size and a floppy can only hold 1.44 Mb.

How is this done?

When I put my DOS disk in the floppy drive and remove the battery and disconnect the power cord.

Hold the END button and plug in the power cord the battery light goos red.

When I release the END button within 2 seconds the system starts. The battery light goes red green red etc.

I hear the floppy drive start to work but then after 5 seconds the whole system stops and switches of.

When I hold the END button a bit longer and hit the power button and the system starts in "Diagnostics boot selected".

The A led at next to the volume lower blink's and after the boot screen goos away both the A and the ( led blink but again nothing happens. The floppy drive is not addressed.

I see people have had similar problems with the BIOS but how did they get there original back.

I hope on a answer soon as the unit is now worth noting. :blink:

What do I need to do to get back to A17 of Dell.

thanks,

I had the Same issue. what you will need to do is make a FreeDOS based boot disk. then download the Dell BIOS image and out it on said disk. then execute the EXE file and all will be good. I really wish someone would look back in to making the D630 Bios mod. would be awesome to be able to use it, even though using a DSDT.aml file is just as good.

If you need more help, let me know and I'll do my best to help you. you can always contact me on google chat: john at ward-one . net

• Administrators

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/properly-extracting-hdr-files-non-packaged-dell-bios-update-packages-use-dell-client-manage

shows how to extract from original bios, the *.hdr file with dos commands from windows... From a DOS prompt, issue the command: . For example, “D630_A17.EXE –writehdrfile”.

Hello,

i had the same issue with my D630, and i had no floppy disk drive.

but it work perfectly with a USB key.

but... it seems that it works only with "old usb" key formatted in FAT (not FAT32 or NTFS) and not to large. (i had to reuse a 32 Mb Usb key)

i have also 1, 4, 8, 16 Gb and it doesnt work.

i hope this help

Regards

Zackouille

Hello CRC.

Short question: Does the GMA Bios for the D630 also work with the 1440 Display? I had a lot of grafik problems with EDP until I found a modified DSDT for 1440 in a post of you.

Don't wanna get back in that trouble......because I do not have a diskdrive to recover :-)

Thanks a lot.

Yours Simon

I have D630 NVIDIA OSX 6.7 installed partition 1

Tried the bios, it took, but system was inoperable, could not get anything to load.

Set original Dell bios 17 and everything works fine

Hello joemax.

Do you have a 1280 or 1440 display?

I had a lot of problems with the DSDTs delivered by EDP because of my highres 1440er display. Now I am afraid to try BIOS mod because of it.

Thanks a lot.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

sorry guys im really busy at moment.

so no there is no bios with highres dsdt at moment... and the other problems i saw are already solved :D

im for the next 2 weeks in NY maybe i will create a bios after ;)

cheers

Howsa'bout a bios that is stock A17 with just a logo or no logo mod, that way we can keep any OSX specific mods in DSDT file? T.I.A.

Thanks for your efforts. I loved this type of mod when I had it on my MSI Wind U100 (RIP).

-=D=-