PayPal donations: [email protected] ×

[07/18/2011] - D630 BIOS rework

crc-error404

• 1 month later...

You probably already figured it out, but just in case.....

I resolved it by making a bootable cd with the D630_A17.exe bios on it.

Booted from the CD, ran the program and got the system back up and going.

I have the Centrino Duo processor which might make a difference - i'm going to try the bios on a Core 2 Duo next.

I had my system working on BIOS A17 of DELL.

I updated to the A17 from the Wiki page but it does not work my system will not start.

I get to option to select F2 or F12. When you enter one of the two it will state Preparing to Enter Setup.... or Prepairing one-time boot menu ....

But it never gets in there.

After the progression bar disappears there is only the blinking cursor at the left upper side.

Now I want to restore back to A17 of Dell and have downloaded the recovery file.

The recovery file for the D630 Nvidea is 2.1 Mb in size and a floppy can only hold 1.44 Mb.

How is this done?

When I put my DOS disk in the floppy drive and remove the battery and disconnect the power cord.

Hold the END button and plug in the power cord the battery light goos red.

When I release the END button within 2 seconds the system starts. The battery light goes red green red etc.

I hear the floppy drive start to work but then after 5 seconds the whole system stops and switches of.

When I hold the END button a bit longer and hit the power button and the system starts in "Diagnostics boot selected".

The A led at next to the volume lower blink's and after the boot screen goos away both the A and the ( led blink but again nothing happens. The floppy drive is not addressed.

I see people have had similar problems with the BIOS but how did they get there original back.

I hope on a answer soon as the unit is now worth noting. :blink:

What do I need to do to get back to A17 of Dell.

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

D620 Intel works no problem.

D630 NVidia had to flash D630 Intel bios as: D630_OSX /forceit -factory

Tried D630 NVidia Bios with switches always locks-up around 70% of post

Tried D630 Intel Bios without switches it also locks-up...

the /forceit switch allows flash without Battery(my Battery is dead...

now that I've gotten Snow Leopard working I will replace it ASAP)

The -factory switch resets ESCD DMI and hidden settings to factory defaults

Dell Bios switches:

http://mickitblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/dell-bios-switches.html

on newer bioses some switches have changed from - to /

Hey people,

Just ran this on my Nvidia D630 and it did not work as expected - any help is appreciated. The apple logo has indeed replaced the ugly Dell one. I have a floppy drive, 256MB USB, it seems like it does not boot even with the End key. It reads the drives but then does not power up.

Sometimes, I can get into the bios. Sometimes Win7 boot menu is shown but A blue screen is quick to follow.

Please let me know step by step, as you know the recovery file for the D630 Nvidea is 2.1 Mb in size and a floppy can only hold 1.44 Mb.

What works?

My MSI U100 is still going strong for now,

Thanks in advanced,

Stitch

Hey people,

Just ran this on my Nvidia D630 and it did not work as expected - any help is appreciated. The apple logo has indeed replaced the ugly Dell one. I have a floppy drive, 256MB USB, it seems like it does not boot even with the End key. It reads the drives but then does not power up.

Sometimes, I can get into the bios. Sometimes Win7 boot menu is shown but A blue screen is quick to follow.

Please let me know step by step, as you know the recovery file for the D630 Nvidea is 2.1 Mb in size and a floppy can only hold 1.44 Mb.

What works?

My MSI U100 is still going strong for now,

Thanks in advanced,

Stitch

You need recovery file on small USB Flash drive formatted as FAT 16 (512MB or smaller defaults to FAT 16, you may be able to use upto 2GB{FAT 16 Partition limit}... download HP USB Format Tool and select FAT 16) and if you add DOS files and make it Bootable, you can Boot off Flash drive to update Bios.

I have 2 NVidia D630s and I flashed them both with the Intel D630 Bios(the Original Bios from Dell was intended for all D630s) I tried the NVidia D630 Bios first(locked up at 70% of POST) I ran recovery(removed AC adapter/Battery/CD or DVD media and inserted USB Flash drive with recovery D630_A17.HDR held down END key/ inserted AC adapter /release END key while battery LED is still flashing Orange) System powered up and within a minute re-Booted to stock Dell Bios. I tried the NVidia D630 Bios several times with various switches including /forceit -factory every time it locked up at 70% of POST. I tried the Intel D630 Bios without switches and that also locked up at 70% of POST... it was my second try with Intel D630 Bios with switches that I found the combination that worked.

first I booted to my Flash Drive

C:\

then I ran Intel D630 Bios with /forceit and -factory

C:\D630_OSX.EXE /forceit -factory

Bios updated, re-booted and everything worked normally.

After installing Snow Leopard updating to 10.6.8 and running the E.D.P. the only strange thing is OSX now identifies Graphics as NVidia GeForce 8400M GS 128MB... which may be the closest relative to the actual Quadro NVS 135M 128MB(maybe some Guru could attempt to change Video Bios to GeForce 8400M GS... the Bios Updates System firmware/Video firmware/Keyboard controller firmware) not that it matters much, even though it is not reporting Graphics exactly 100% correctly, CI/QE is working... I can use Front Row, iTunes etc and even installed City of Heroes which runs just as well as it does in Win7.

maybe the reason nobody can flash NVidia D620, D630 is due to DSDT having Geforce information(which may have been altered to report Quadro NVS when DSDT is used in Extra folder or EFI partition... maybe altering Video Bios will fix the NVidia Custom Bioses for D620/D630)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I had a nicely working D630 nvidia (10.7.3) with the original A17 bios. Today I decided to install the customized bios from the link. Installing went fine with Freedos but after that when booting it gets stuck.

Hopefully someone can help me!

By the way , what does the dsdt mean?

post-4064-070140000 1330442028_thumb.jpg

Hi

I had a nicely working D630 nvidia (10.7.3) with the original A17 bios. Today I decided to install the customized bios from the link. Installing went fine with Freedos but after that when booting it gets stuck.

Hopefully someone can help me!

By the way , what does the dsdt mean?

post-4064-070140000 1330442028_thumb.jpg

The Nvidia version should have been pulled a long time ago. If you read through the forum you will see many have had problems with it, including myself. You will also find you will need to reflash the original in order to get a functioning machine again.